I was born and raised in Athens where I graduated from Elementary school and Highschool. At the age of 17.5, I passed successfully the national exams and entered the Medical School of Thessaloniki, Greece from which I graduated without any delay in six years with the degree of “very good”. During my military duty, I began my PhD at the Medical School of Athens and I received the ECFMG certificate which allowed me to apply for a General Surgery residency in USA. Despite heavy competition, I was able to find a salaried position for General Surgery residency at the University of Illinois in Chicago. During my residency I completed my PhD with the degree of “excellent”. After a 6-year residency, I was able to get a one year salaried Fellowship in Bariatric and Advanced Laparoscopic surgery at WestPenn-Allegheny Health System in Pittsburgh, PA. During my Fellowship I was able to receive the certification from the American Board of Surgery and I passed successfully the Greek Licensing exams in General Surgery. After completion of my fellowship I was able to get a salaried position as an Assistant Professor of Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, which is among the best 20 hospital in the USA. I remained in this position for four years and subsequently I moved to the University of Connecticut as an Associate Professor of Surgery and taking over the Directorship at the Bariatric Center at Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center. After 6.5 years in this position and 17.5 years in total in the USA I decided to move back to my home country as Director of the Bariatric program at Metropolitan Hospital. During my 17-year tenure in the USA I completed over 5,000 operations, most of the them in the area of Laparoscopic Bariatric surgery, laparoscopic cholecystectomy, colon and small bowel resection, splenectomy, ventral and diaphragmatic hernia repairs as well as plastic surgery reconstruction of the abdominal wall, arm and thigh lift. Since 2005 I have received the award of “Surgeon of Excellence” in Bariatric surgery designated by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, which is the most important international certification of clinical excellence in Bariatric surgery. Most recently I passed successfully the re-certification exams by the American Board of Surgery and I am certified until 2024. I also hold an active medical license at the state of Connecticut.
- Chief, Section of Bariatric Surgery, Metropolitan Hospital, Athens, 2014 – present.
- Chief, Section of Bariatric Surgery,, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Hartford, Connecticut, USA 2007-2013 More Information
- Associate Professor of Surgery, University of Connecticut, Hartford, Connecticut, USA 2009 – present
- Assistant Professor of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA 2003-2007
- Αctive member of the Αmerican College of Surgeons (ACS) since 1998 Search here
- Active member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery – ASMBS) since 2003 More Information
- Active member of the Society of American Gastro-Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) (Society of American Gastro-Endoscopic Surgeons – SAGES) since 2000 More Information
- Medical Officer in Greek Air Force, 1993-1995
- Active member of the Greek-American Medical College More Information
- Certified by the American Board of Surgery (2003 and 2013) (American Board of Surgery) Search here
- General Surgery residency, Metropolitan Group Hospitals/ University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, USA 1996-2002
- Fellowship in Laparoscopic and Bariatric surgery, Western Pennsylvania Hospital & Allegheny General Hospital/ Allegheny University Campus, Pittsburgh, Pennsylania, USA 2002-2003
- PhD with the degree of “excellent”, Medical School of Athnens, 1995-2000
- Medical Diplom with the degree of “very good”, Medical School of Thessaloniki, 1987-1993
My scientific interest has been mostly focused on colon cancer, hernia repair, as well as Laparoscopic and Bariatric surgery. I have been author or co-author of over 70 peer reviewed publications and 72 presentations in international meetings. My publications have been cited by other scientists over 800 times. Recently I have completed training in Robotic surgery and attended preceptorships in Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch, Corset abdominoplasty and thighplasty.